Ridley's Believe It Or Not—October 2, 2014: Trust your Thursday is proving to be a great day and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Gandhi with a smile on your sunscreened face, with a plate of fried scallops near, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. International Day Of Non-Violence—a U.N. observance celebrated since 2007 on the birthday of Gandhi, one of the great proponents of nonviolence who sadly was assassinated in 1948.
2. Guardian Angel Day--celebrating the vast majority that believe in guardian angels who protect them from danger and harm—in a violent world even on a day of non-violence, they are definitely needed.
3. Laughter Day--celebrating the birthday on this day in 1890 of one of the icons of laughter Groucho Marx.
4. American Pie Day—honoring the birthday on this day in 1945 of Don McLean whose record American Pie is one of the great songs of the 20th Century—but on this day of non-violence not a day to drive your Chevy to the levy to drink whiskey and rye or the day to die.
5. National Fried Scallops Day—honoring that great mollusk which when sautéed with garlic and butter creates a pleasure not duplicated by many foods—enjoy!
On this day in
a. 1950 the comic strip Peanuts by Charles Schulz was first published.
b. 1959 the Twilight Zone premiered on CBS—great television series.
c. 1980 Michael Meyers, a Democrat member of the House of Representatives, became the first member of either house since the Civil War to be expelled from Congress after being caught on tape for accepting a bribe of $50,000—in a sad comment on the ethics of politicians 30 members voted against his removal.
d. 2002 the Beltway Sniper attacks began which lasted for three weeks terrorizing the Washington C.C. metropolitan area and killing ten people. John Allen Muhammad, who may have been a jihadist, was caught and sent to his deranged Paradise by lethal injection in 2007.
In a nutshell, this is why the Sharia fanatics of the world with their treatment of women are doomed: “To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man's injustice to woman. If by strength is meant brute strength, then, indeed, is woman less brute than man. If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior. Has she not greater intuition, is she not more self-sacrificing, has she not greater powers of endurance, has she not greater courage? Without her, man could not be. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman. Who can make a more effective appeal to the heart than woman?" Mahatma Gandhi
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© October 2, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift