Ridley's Believe It Or Not—October 29, 2014: Trust your Wednesday is proving to be a great one and as always hope you enjoy the holidays and observances, factoids and quote from the Dan Quayle, with a smile on your sunscreened face, enjoying a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, blessed with a positive attitude even though you know you will have to wade through tons of spam in your inbox, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event or the coming Christmas, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. International Internet Day—observed since 2005 to commemorate the first transmission of an electronic message from one computer to another in 1969. Where would we be without the internet today?
2. World Psoriasis Day—creating awareness and the need for research for a disease that affects over 125 million people around the world leaving huge flakes of skin and in some cases painful arthritis.
3. National Cat Day—honoring those independent felines whose unclean litter box or the sound of them chewing on bird or mouse caught outside at night but brought into your bedroom will drive most people into the street.
4. National Oatmeal Day—celebrating whether instant or slow cooked that great breakfast dish especially honey and raisins to warm the insides of your belly on a cold fall morning.
5. Truth or Consequences Day—bemoaning the birthday on this day in 1897 of Joseph Goebbels the Nazi Propaganda Minister who along with his wife after killing all of his children beat the hangman in the Fuhrer Bunker in the closing days of WWII by committing suicide. On this day in
a. 1863 18 countries meet in Geneva, Switzerland to form the International Red Cross.
b. 1956 the Suez Crisis begins as Israel pushes Egyptian forces out of the Sinai enroute to the Suez Canal which according to the Constantinople Convention guaranteed free maritime passage in time of war and peace.
c. 1994 Francisco Martin Duran fired 29 shots from an assault rifle at the White House and was convicted of attempting to murder President Clinton and sentenced to 40 years in federal prison and is projected to be released in 2029.
Reflections on the International Internet Day: “If Al Gore invented the internet, I invented Spell Check” Dan Quayle former vice president of the United States and an atrocious speller and grammarian, here with a sense of humor.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© October 29, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift