Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For February 5, 2019 President Trump delivers his SOTUS with resister in chief directly on camera behind him (will she be rolling her eyes in defiance to go with her habit of sitting on her hands glued to her seat?); Stacey Abrams the sour grape loser in the Georgia gubernatorial race will give the rebuttal an is hit with a scathing 30 second video released by the RNC; Senator Booker at the confirmation hearings of Neomi Rao made a complete utter fool of himself by asking the nominee who is not a judge how many LGBTQ clerk she had and when he was so informed he broadened it to include employees in her agency and she rightfully responded that she was unaware of the sexual orientation and would never base hiring decisions on that factor; Blue Connecticut legislator has introduced a bill to raise the sales tax on ammunition by 50%; on the drug front the Coast Guard announced on Tuesday that it had seized 35,000 pounds if cocaine worth almost $500 million; the illegals camping in out in Tijuana are wearing out their welcome subject to being slammed by Tijuana as being “bums, pot smokers and bad people”; the list of spoiled children Democratic House members who have indicating they are boycotting tonight’s SCOTUS stands at 4 (what a disgrace that should result in a Pelosi memo that they should attend); on the illegal alien criminal gang front, the shooter who killed another gang member on the NYC subway is a MS-13 gang member here illegally; Nothing But Cack network had a panel that blamed Trump for Governor Northam black face scandal yearbook photos (unbelievable but so predictable).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, music links to Bruno Mars, factoids of interest for this day in history, the ophelmity we are enjoying under Trump and a relevant quote from Eliot Engel on the Holocaust, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Chinese New Year—celebrating the first day of the Year of the Pig.
2. Disaster Day—commemorating disasters both natural and caused by man and promoting the need for study and awareness of the causes of such disasters to minimize the chance they will happen again and take measures to minimize the loss of life and destruction of property.
3. 2011 Number One Song— the number one song on this day in 2011 on a run of 4 weeks in that position was “Grenade” by Bruno Mars. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6iYWJxHqs
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day as we move from words beginning with “n” to words beginning with “o” is “ophelimity” which means economic satisfaction which is what Trump has been delivering to the American people in spades.
5. First Lady of Steak—celebrating the birth on this day in 1927 of Ruth Fertel a noted entrepreneur that ventured into the restaurant business by buying a local restaurant Chris’ Steakhouse in New Orleans and when it burned down she moved to a new location and renamed the restaurant Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse and grew it to a national and multinational chain. A lifelong smoker, she died of lung cancer at the age of 75.
On this day in:
a. 1919 Charley Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and D.W. Griffith formed United Artists.
b. 1939 General Francisco Franco became the 68th Caudillo de Espana.
c. 1962 French President Charles De Gaulle called for independence of Algeria.
d. 1994 after 2 hung juries for the murder in 1963 of Civil Rights activist Medgar Evers, Byron De La Beckwith was retried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison where he died at age 80.
e. 1997 UBS, Credit Suisse and National Bank of Switzerland announced the formation of a $71 million fund to aid Holocaust victims and their families.
Reflections on the Holocaust: “Yet, nearly 6 decades after the Holocaust concluded, Anti-Semitism still exists as the scourge of the world.” Eliot Engel, Blue member of the House for New York, since 1988; this liveral Representative is the poster child of why we need term limits.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to www.Alaskanpoethistory.blogspot.com for just This Day in History.
© February 4, 2019, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire