Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For July 15, 2016. Unfortunately still 189 days to go in President Obama’s pathetic lame duck term; another day another massive radical Islamist attack in France where 84 people were killed, including 10 children by Islamist of Tunisian descent using not a gun but a rental van (at least we will be spared calls for more gun control); here is a stark contrast Trump wants to admit no refugees from the Middle East and Hillary’s target numbers are between 100,000 to 600,000; here is another stark contrast—Trump wants to declare war on this cancer and so far Hillary is silent calling for more intel but not wanting to destroy the caliphate’s safe havens; Pence is selected as Trump’s choice for VP; even though the FBI agents investigating our felon candidate have executed confidentiality agreements do not be surprised if there will be leaks in the coming days over the damage done by Hillary to our national interests; and do not be surprised if after the FBI revealed that she lied to us on her deceptive claim of having turned over all work related emails that one very angry District Court judge after receiving a sworn declaration that she did might hold her in contempt of court. Going to www.lyingcrookedhillay.com is a great way to start your day along of course with www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Song Spinners, factoids of interest, a relevant quote from Simon Mainwaring while looking forward to enjoying a handful of gummy worms, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Social Media Giving Day—celebrated first on this day in 2013 to promote the use of social media for charitable donations and to advance philanthropy.
2. Saint Swithin’s Day—celebrating the fact that groundhogs are not the only mammals to predict the weather. From Elizabethan times folklore that states if humans take note of whatever the weather is on this day, it will continue for another 40 days.
3. 1943 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 1943 on a run of three weeks in that position “Comin’in on a Wing and a Prayer” by Song Spinners. Here is a link to Song Spinners performing “Comin’in on a Wing and a Prayer.”
4. National Gummy Worm Day—perfect way to celebrate the kid in you by partaking of a handful of multi-colored gummy worms.
5. Hard To Sing and Shake Rattle and Roll—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1946 of iconic singer and former girlfriend to Governor Jerry Brown, Linda Ronstadt who has sold over a hundred million albums but had to retire from singing due to Parkinson’s Disease in 2013.
On this day in:
a. 1741 Aleksei Chirokov sighted land in Southeast Alaska and sent men ashore to become to the dismay of the Tlingits who resided there the first Europeans to set foot in Alaska..
b. 1834 in a blow for tolerance the Spanish Inquisition after 356 years of burning Jews and heretics at the stake was officially ended.
c. 1838 Ralph Waldo Emerson delivered the Divinity School Address at Harvard University and discounted Biblical miracles and expressed his opinion that while Christ was a great man, he was not God. Needless to say his audience was not pleased.
d. 1959 the United Steel Workers went on strike leading the significant importation of foreign steel for the first time in our history—not a bright move by the union.
e. 2006 Twitter was launched, went public in 2013 but is still trading below its IPO price of $26 a share.
Reflections on service and social media: “Social media is not about the exploitation of technology but service to community.” Simon Mainwaring, noted social media and branding expert. Nice and appropriate thoughts which radical Islamists have perverted with their recruiting efforts on social media. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© July 15, 2016, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift