Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For January 26, 2017 President Trump’s mode of diplomacy appears to be catching on as the President of Mexico informed him on Twitter that he is cancelling their scheduled meeting to discuss the wall and NAFTA; several senior members of the State Department have resigned and those resignations have been accepted as has the head of the Border Patrol appointed by Obama in the last year of his term; new executive orders means that you will see no more additional Syrian “refugees” for near term future; look for an executive order shortly reducing U.S. funding of the UN; look for the battling of the two dueling infrastructure spending bills one to be proposed by President Trump which envisages a public private joint venture and the one proposed by the Blues which is solely public funding (remember the Obama “shovel ready projects” mantra that was a complete disaster); ; on the economic front the Dow broke through the 20,000 barrier for the first time in its history and closed up again today at 20,100.49 (thanks in large part to the election of President Trump); ending on a sad note through Wednesday as President Trump is raising the possibility of sending in federal agents to Chicago, 264 mostly blacks were shot by mostly blacks in Chicago with 45 fatalities and from Mayor Emanuel and the BLM nothing but the sounds of silence.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men, factoids of interest for this day in history, an understatement of the first order by Monica Lewinsky, wondering about the ylem present at the creation of the universe, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Customs Day—celebrating the contributions of customs officials to a nation’s security and collection of revenue.
2. Lotus 1-2-3 Day—celebrating the introduction of Lotus 1-2-3, a very easy to use spread sheet program making modeling and financial projections far easier. It dominated the market until the introduction of Microsoft’s Excel.
3. Number One Song in 1996—celebrating the number 1 song in 1996 on a long run of 16 weeks in that position “One Sweet Day” by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men. Here is a link to them performing the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxRyNvTPr8
4. Word of the Day—the word of the day is “ylem” which is in the big bang theory of the creation of the universe, the primordial matter composed primarily of neutrons at high temperature and density.
5. The Nightbird Chirps—celebrating the birth on this day in 1937 of Alison Steele known to her fans at WNEW radio as “the Nightbird”. She was a pioneer disc jockey in a profession dominated by men. She died far too early of stomach cancer at the age of 58.
On this day in:
1. 1699 the first steps were taken to after centuries of ascendancy to turn the Ottoman Empire into the “sick man of Europe” and its ultimate destruction during World War I with the Ottoman Empire executing the Treaty of Karlowitz which resulted in the Ottomans ceding large parts of Central Europe to Austria and bringing an end to the Austro-Ottoman War.
2. 1905 the world’s largest diamond, the Cullinan, was found at the Premier Mine near Pretoria, South Africa weighing almost 2/3 of a kilogram.
3. 1920 former Ford Motor executive Henry Leland launched the Lincoln Motor Company which he later sold to Ford.
4. 1961 President John F. Kennedy appointed Janet Travell as his personal physician, the first woman to serve in such capacity.
5. 1998 President Bill Clinton went on national TV and solemnly lied to the American people that he had not had sexual relations with that woman Monica Lewinsky (what about oral sex did that sexual predator not understand as being a sexual relation)?
Talk about an understatement or a really sick pun: “I voted Republican this year; the Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth.” Monica Lewinsky Although there have been no studies, my take would be that of parents with teen age daughters who wanted to serve as White House interns or who were interns, those parents voted 100 percent for Trump to keep the First Predator from roaming the White House in search of prey. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 26, 2017 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift All to Receive a Lasting Lift