Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For January 19, 2017 The number of spoiled childish Blue Representatives who have announced they are boycotting the Inauguration of President-elect Trump following the idiotic claim of John Lewis that President-elect Trump is illegitimate president has now grown to 62 and have been joined by the mushroom cloud producer over Israel in the future John Kerry, our wimp soon to be former Secretary of State; President-elect Trump has arrived in Washington, D.C. and less than 24 hours remain in Obama’s term; Obama has commuted the sentence of FALN terrorist Lopez Riviera who was found guilty of numerous bombings in the 70’s to the outrage of his victims; Jackie Evancho has confirmed what all the scumbags in the entertainment world seem to have forgotten that it is an honor to perform for her country at the Inauguration; good news on the ISIS front as Mosul is almost completely in government hands and B-2s have destroyed an ISIS training camp in Libya killing hundreds; President-elect Trump has filled out completely his cabinet selections and although the Blues are engaging in a lot of posturing, it looks like all will be confirmed; on a final political note, a lawyer for HRC wrote an op ed strongly encouraging Obama to pardon her (not a bad idea if she and her husband dissolved the Clinton Foundation and agreed to forego any future speaking engagements and admitted the extent of her quid pro quo crimes while she was Secretary of State); through Wednesday 166 people shot in Chicago with 30 fatalities.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, music links to Michael Bolton and the birthday girl Janis Joplin, factoids of interest for this day in history, an observation on performing by Janis Joplin, looking forward to enjoying a day that is not rawky, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National Brew a Potion Day—celebrating whimsically the idea that one can create beverages with magical qualities like a love potion.
2. National Tin Can Day—celebrating invention by British inventor Peter Durand of the tin can in 1810 but I am totally clueless as to why January 19th was picked as his patent was issued in August of that year.
3. Number One Song in 1990—celebrating the number 1 song in 1990 on a run of 3 weeks in that position “How Am I Supposed to Live Without You?” by Michael Bolton. Here is a link to him performing the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFood_bTOX4
4. Word of the Day—the word of the day is “rawky” which means foggy, damp and cold which for those living in Southern California is a word we rarely get to use to describe our weather even in the winter.
5. Freedom Is Just Another Word—celebrating the birth on this day in 1943 of Janis Joplin who like far too many singers of the 60’s and 70’s died of a drug overdose at the age of 27. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXV_QjenbDw
On this day in:
1. 1915 George Claude patented the neon discharge light and the advertising world would never be the same especially in places like Las Vegas.
2. 1920 the U.S. Senate voted against joining the League of Nations, ultimately insuring its failure.
3. 1953 almost 72% of all television sets in the U.S. were tuned into watch Lucille Ball deliver Desi Arnaz, Jr. on an episode of the I Love Lucy Show.
4. 1983 Apple released its Lisa Personal Computer, the first PC to have a graphical user interface and mouse.
5. 2012 the Hong Kong based internet file sharing company Megaupload was shut down by the FBI.
Reflections from a lonely, miserable artist: “On stage I make love to twenty five thousand people; and then I go home alone.”Janis Joplin Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 19, 2017 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift All to Receive a Lasting Lift