1. Epiphany—celebrating the beginning of Carnival—great way to spend time in New Orleans or Rio Di Janeiro.
2. National Tale Out The Christmas Tree Day—celebrating the last of the 12 days of Christmas by taking the Christmas tree out to the trash for pick up and disposal.
3. 1975 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1975 Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by Elton John.
4. National Bean Day—nothing like the taste of beans and the aroma both while cooking and after eating to spice up a cold January day.
5. Chicago Day—celebrating on the birthday on this day in 1878 of one of America’s best known poets, Carl Sandburg whose poems often referenced the city of Chicago.
On this day in
a. 1929 Mother Teresa arrived in Calcutta to begin her lifelong ministry to the poor living in wretched conditions there.
b. 1931 Thomas Edison submitted his last patent application which was preceded by 2,331 other applications---very fertile mind did Mr. Edison possess.
c. 1941 President Franklin Roosevelt delivered his State of the Union address calling for adherence to the Four Freedoms all nations should possess—freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want and freedom from fear.
d. 1974 in response to the oil embargo by OPEC Daylight Savings Time commenced four months early.
Reflections on life by Mother Teresa: “Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it. Life is too precious, do not destroy it. Life is life, fight for it.” Mother Teresa. Amen to that!
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join over 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© January 6, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift