Ridley's Believe It Or Not—May 21, 2014: Today is another holiday wasteland of all holidays. Hope you looking forward to the Memorial Day Weekend and will enjoy these meager holidays, or celebrate in a culinary fashion, found for today along with the factoids and quote.
1. Sister Maria Hummel Day—honoring the birthday of the German nun who created the artistic figurines in the 30’s and 40’s known as Hummels.
2. Diversity Day—promoting cultural diversity and harmony and established by UN resolution in November of 2001 in response to the 911 attacks on the World Trade Center, Pentagon and UA 93; good thought but no one is listening in the jihadist world as Boko Haram clearly turns a deaf ear.
3. National Employee Health and Fitness Day—promoting employee health and fitness in the workplace although do not expect to see spontaneous calisthenics like you might see in a Japanese auto factory (given the recall records at GM might not be a bad idea though).
4. National Strawberries and Cream Day (logical as it follows National Pick Strawberries Day on the 20th)—on another day of meager holidays, at least one to sink your teeth into and blow the benefits of employee fitness at work.
On this day in:
a. 1881 the American Red Cross was established by Clara Barton in Washington, D.C.
b. 1992 after 30 seasons, Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show hosted his penultimate episode and the last one featuring guests.
c. 2011 noted radio Christian broadcaster Harold Camping’s prophecy that Jesus Christ would return on this day and the saved would rise up and return to heaven with the end of the world occurring five months later like so many such other prophecies failed, but probably had some people shaking prior to the 21st.
Best tribute to an icon like Carson is to share some of his sayings:
· “Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined."
· "I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the barn and do nothing."
· "If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead."
· "My success just evolved from working hard at the business at hand each day."
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 140 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for poems on volunteering to work at Second Harvest so food can be distributed to the needy; climbing into the mountains to be nearer to God; the 2014 Boston Marathon; on the Mustangs going to the Dance with a losing record; to honor Cindy Abbott, a half blind 54 year old mother suffering from a rare disease who competed in last year's Iditarod until forced out with a broken pelvis after 600 miles to join a great collection of my poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for poems on indictment of 5 Chinese generals for hacking and stealing trade secrets; Marine shackled on Mexican jail bed; on the death of academic freedom; senior prom students wearing surgical masks so fellow student undergoing chemo could attend; Sudan preparing to hang a pregnant apostate wife for marrying a Christian to join numerous other comments on news events always in rhyme of course.
©May 21, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet