Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For March 9, 2019 As residences in droves flee New York due to high taxes and the cap on deducting state income taxes, New York is on a tear to audit those who leave the state to extract the last measure of taxes from them; the House Blues have passed a bill that requires on line registration and makes it possible for illegals to register and vote while voting down an amendment to condemn illegal alien voting (open borders and illegal aliens voting mean the death of this republic of ours); in Houston as a result of a ballot measure passed which resulted in massive pay increases for Houston fire fighters, 400 will be laid off (can only wonder the impact on safety with what amounts to a 10% reduction in personnel); Booker the Spartacus liar was true to form on Colbert when he completely dodged questions on Democratic policies to rant on the Manafort sentence (so typical of this grandstanding liar who is no peddling the false claim that cost estimates of the Green New Deal are inflated); in a great day for the reputation of the bar, the attorney for Smollett blamed the media for his client being indicted on 16 felony counts (good luck on that with Chicago poised to make an example of this pathetic and for that matter dumb criminal); AOC, the poster child for the troika that has apparently taken over the Democratic party has signed on board of the Blue proposal to tax stock transactions initially at .1% (use the word initially since once levied taxes seem always to increase); Omar is not only a rabid anti-Semite but a really dumb one as she released an audio of her tape wherein she blasted Obama but was claiming her remarks were twisted by the media (Nancy Pelosi needs to recover her tyrannical spine and boot this pathetic anti-Semite off all her committees); R. Kelly in deep Bandini for sexual abuse charges was released from jail after paying $176,000 in back child support; Carmine Persico at age 85 has died in prison after being prosecuted and convicted 3 decades ago by then U.S. Attorney Rudi Giuliani 7, 2019 301 people have been shot in Chicago of whom 48 have died.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to the McGuire Sisters, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact you reject being ostiose; relevant quote from Edward R. Murrow on McCarthy, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Genealogy Day—urging people to fill out their family tree which has been made easier with the internet; who knows what famous or infamous relative you may find.
2. Bang Clang Day—celebrating on this day in 1862 the first battle between ironclad ships the CSS Merrimac and the USS Monitor; after pounding each other with cannon balls which did not damage the ships called it a draw and returned to their respective harbors.
3. 1955 Number One Song—the number one song on this day in 1955 on a run of 6 weeks in that position was “Sincerely” by the McQuire Sisters. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFUeGB_Bbo.
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day as we move from words beginning with “n” to words beginning with “o” is “otiose” which means useless which in many ways describes our Congress to a tee.
5. Hold the Fork—celebrating the birth on this day in 1954 of noted IRA member and member of Parliament elected while he was leading a hunger strike in a British prison Bobby Sands; the British did not cave to his demands and he died on May 5, 1981 to end the hunger strike.
On this day in:
a. 1776 Adam Smith published The Wealth of Nations which idiotic socialists like AOC unfortunately have never read.
b. 1954 CBS News broadcasted on its See It Now series an episode “A Report on Senator McCarthy,” which it should make a sequel on Adam Schiff who is looking like McCarthy more every day.
c. 1961 in a moment that SpaceX has aped in its recent launch to Mars, Sputnik 9 was successfully launched with a dummy cosmonaut named Ivan Ivanovich on board, indicating the Soviet Union was preparing to send a man into space.
d. 1974 the Mars Flyby7 probe in an oops moment released its descent module too early, missing Mars all together.
e. 1977 12 armed black Hanafi Muslims seized 3 buildings in Washington, D.C. killing 2, wounding Councilman Marion Berry and taking 149 hostages. The siege lasted 39 hours before with assistance from 3 Muslim Ambassadors negotiating for the hostages release which ended the siege. All hostage takers were tried and convicted with the leader sentenced to 20 years to life and died in prison.
Reflections on Joe Mcarthy: ““No one man can terrorize a whole nation unless we are all his accomplices.”
― Edward R. Murrow
― Edward R. Murrow
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to www.Alaskanpoethistory.blogspot.com for just This Day in History.
© March 9, 2019 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet